So we aren’t having Thanksgiving at our house this year……..YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No I’m really excited, but it seems that the looming “so much to do” feeling is lurking. While I should just relax and be glad that it’s not our kitchen/house being turned upside down, I just can’t seem to. I’m only in charge of making 2 desserts, 1 pie, and a huge green bean casserole…..easy right?! NOPE! No really it is, we are having Zachary’s therapy here tomorrow at 3 pm so I can’t mess up my own kitchen until after that so I guess I’m just ready to cook and be done. I’m not patient….at all…..not even a little. When I have projects I want to do them and get them done, like yesterday. But I will just have to stay up tomorrow night and bang it all out at once. TGFC…….Thank God For Chai I’m gonna need it!
So tonight, because I’m sure I’m not the only “psycho” planner out there I will be posting recipes from past posts for you to locate with ease! This should make your prep work easy if you were going to use the DELISH Turkey Talk recipes!! So go grab your pretty mugs with something yummy, a pen and your recipe cards……It’s gonna be gobba-licious!
Lemon Asparagus Brown Rice:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp (unsalted) butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, room temperature
- 1 tsp grated lime or lemon zest
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups asparagus in chunks
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil and butter over medium high heat in a skillet. Add mushrooms to skillet and cook about 3 minutes until browned. Add garlic and onion powder to mushrooms then cook 1 minute. Add brown rice to mushroom and garlic mixture; cook until browned, about 5 minutes. To rice mixture, carefully pour in lemon juice; add lime zest and ginger. Cook until most of lemon juice evaporates, about 2 minutes. Carefully add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes. Meanwhile, place asparagus in a steamer basket and steam for 5-8 minutes. (Asparagus should be bright green.) Remove rice from heat, and add asparagus and Parmesan cheese. Toss rice until cheese is melted and asparagus is incorporated.
Ginger Sweet Potato Muffins:
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup minced crystallized ginger
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 12 muffin tins with nonstick spray. Place butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add eggs and continue to beat until mixture is very fluffy. Add mashed sweet potatoes and grated ginger root and beat at medium until blended. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice together. Fold in half of flour mixture. Stir in coconut milk. Fold in remaining flour mixture and crystallized ginger. The batter should be smooth, but be careful to not over mix. Fill prepared tins halfway with batter. Bake until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tins to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before removing muffins.
Spicy Peanuts and Pumpkin Seeds by Rick Bayless:
You Will Need
2 cups unsalted roasted peanuts
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons ancho or guajillo chili powder, plus arbol chili powder if you like it spicy
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup hulled pumpkin seeds
What to Do
1. Toss peanuts with lime juice until all are moistened. Sprinkle with chili powder; toss until nuts are evenly coated. Spread nuts in a shallow layer on baking sheet; bake at 250?F until chili powder forms a light crust on nuts, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle generously with salt.
2. In large skillet over medium heat, toast pumpkin seeds. When one pops stir constantly until all have popped from flat to round, about 5 minutes. Toss with peanuts, then scoop into a serving bowl.
Makes 3 cups
Thanks to TheBar.com for this great recipe.
- 1.25 oz Smirnoff Cranberry Vodka
- .25 oz raspberry liqueur
- splash of cranberry juice
Add vodka, raspberry liqueur, and cranberry juice to an ice-filled shaker and shake to mix. Strain into a cocktail glass. Serve garnished with 3 whole cranberries on a stick.
Recipe courtesy of TheBar.com
- 1.35 oz. George Dickel
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grapefruit juice
- 1.5 tsp. almond extract
- 1 slice orange
Combine all ingredients in an ice filled glass and stir well. Serve garnished with an orange slice.
Recipe courtesy of TheBar.com
- .75 oz. Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
- .5 oz. ginger brandy
- 4 oz. eggnog (I would use Silk Soy Nog for a low fat version!)
Combine rum, brandy, and eggnog in a blender. Blend to desired consistency. Garnish with a ginger snap for dunking.
Festive Holiday Stuffing Recipe
- 6 slices 100% Whole Wheat Bread (or Double Fiber Bread)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red peppers
- 1/2 cup diced green peppers
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked whole grain rice (or Uncle Ben’s microwavable bags -whole grain rice)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (or McKay’s Chicken Style Seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Olive oil spray
This recipe has a couple steps that have to be done simultaneously. It may be helpful to read the recipe through a couple times and deciding which steps you’d like to start with:
1. Divide all seasonings (with the exception of the poultry seasoning) in half. Mix 1/2 of the seasoning in a medium sized bowl. Save the other 1/2 for later use. Slice the bread in 1/2 inch cubes and place on cookie sheet. Spray the bread with your favorite cooking spray for 3 seconds, then add it to the seasoning bowl and mix well. Place bread on cookie sheet and bake in the oven and 250°F until golden brown, about 45 minutes.
2. Sautee onion, red pepper, green pepper, celery and mushrooms in 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Cook whole grain rice according to package directions and add to vegetable mixture. Add the remainder of the seasonings, including the chicken style seasoning and cook 1-2 minutes.
4. In a 9X13 baking dish, mix the bread, vegetables and rice. Pour water and vegetable broth on top, then mix well. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Uncover the dish for the last 10 minutes.
Steam-Sautéed Lemony Green Beans
2 pounds fresh green beans
2/3 cup water
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tb. finely grated lemon zest
Place beans in a 12-inch skillet. Mix water, salt and oil, and pour over beans. Cover skillet and turn burner on high. When beans start to sizzle and steam, set timer and cook until water evaporates and beans are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in zest and serve.
PER SERVING: 65 calories, 2g protein, 8g carbohydrates, 4g fat (0.5g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 4g fiber, 152mg sodium
Low Fat Cranberry-Apple Crisp: by Fiona Haynes
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces fresh cranberries, washed and picked through
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice or apple cider
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tbsp butter, cut into tiny pieces
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Placed sliced apples and cranberries in an 8×8 inch glass baking dish. Drizzle with lemon juice.
Pour all but 2 tbsp of apple juice over sliced apples and cranberries.
Whisk oats, brown sugar and flour together. Rub butter pieces into oat mixture. Sprinkle on top of apples. Drizzle remaining apple juice.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden and bubbly.
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 12 whole fresh white button mushrooms
- 6 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- Mix cream cheese with the scallions and set mixture aside.
- Remove the mushroom stems, wash, and dry well.
- Stuff the cream cheese and scallions into the cavity of the mushrooms.
- Broil in the oven for 10 minutes and enjoy!
Girl Gone Healthy Pumpkin Muffins:
1 c. I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Baking Sticks-softened
3/4 c Egg Beaters Just Whites
15 oz can organic pumpkin puree
1 1/2 c. wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. all spice
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Roasted Brussel Sprouts: ( I was not a fan of B Sprouts until I tried them this way!)
-1 to 2 pounds Brussel Sprouts (not frozen, either fresh or thawed well)
-2 Tablespoons minced garlic (Iuse the pre-minced jar kind)
-1 Large onion diced
-Sea salt and Black pepper
Begin by spreading EVOO on a foil covered baking sheet, cut sprouts in half and place cut side down on sheet. Once sprouts are on sheet, and evenly spaced, drizzle EVOO across the top followed by garlic, oregano, rosemary, parsely, diced onion, and top with salt and pepper to taste. Place in pre heated 425 oven for 10 minutes, remove-shake around and place back in oven for additional 5 to 10 minutes or until onion is golden and sprouts are slightly blackened. Delish!
Not So Mashed Potatoes:
-Several large heads of cauliflower
-1/2 cup (1 stick) I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
-3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
-splash of skim milk or non flavored light soy milk
-Sea Salt and Black Pepper
Begin by steaming cauliflower until extremely soft. Using potato masher, combine butter, Parmesancheese, salt and pepper; begin to mash. Use milk if needed to make cauliflower creamy and potato like. Top with extra Parmesan cheese if needed.
Girl Gone Healthy Four Layer Delight:
1 stick butter, melted ( I use the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter sticks for baking)
1/2-1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. instant fat free vanilla pudding powder (you’ll need 2 boxes to measure out 1 cup)
1 (8 oz.) pkg. fat free cream cheese
1 (3 oz.) pkg. instant fat free chocolate pudding
1 (3 oz.) pkg. instant fat free French vanilla pudding
Mix ingredients for crust together and spread into a 9 1/2 x 13 inch pan. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool. -Make sure to cool!!
In a bowl, mix 1 cup Cool Whip, 1 cup vanilla pudding powder and cream cheese; spread over cool crust. Mix chocolate and French Vanilla pudding mixes in separate bowls according to package directions allow puddings to set for a few minutes. Carefully spread the chocolate pudding over the cream cheese layer, next carefully spread the French vanilla pudding over the top of the chocolate trying not to swirl them together. Lastly, top everything off with remaining Cool Whip. (GGH Note- when making your puddings use Light Soy Milk or Skim Milk. Also making this the night before and allowing to sit in fridge over night makes it taste 10 times better!)
Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole by Elizabeth M.
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, (3 medium), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well and return to the pan. Mash with a potato masher. Measure out 3 cups. (Reserve any extra for another use.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square (or similar 2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs, oil and honey in a medium bowl. Add mashed sweet potato and mix well. Stir in milk, orange zest, vanilla and salt. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- To prepare topping: Mix flour, brown sugar, orange juice concentrate, oil and butter in a small bowl. Blend with a fork or your fingertips until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole until heated through and the top is lightly browned, 35 to 45 minutes.
Girl Gone Healthy Thanksgiving Dressing:
1 pound whole wheat bread, cubed ( I use Arnold’s Bakery Light Whole Wheat-See Pic)
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1 head celery, sliced-Use EVERYTHING, leafy bits to, they have tons of nutrients
3 tablespoons minced garlic (I use the minced garlic in the jar)
1 tablespoon dried sage
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 cup white wine
veggie broth or low sodium chicken broth from my non-vegans
sea salt if you need it
-Sautee all the veggies in white wine, I do it in batches, too much for
my biggest pan. Add herbs to veggies. Cook til veggies
are tender but not limp and mushrooms become slightly firm.
-Mix veggies with bread cubes. Slowly add broth to make it all
moist but not soupy, you know, just right -light and fluffy.
Bake covered about 30 minutes, uncover and bake 15 minutes more.
-Serve with gravy of choice.
Now that’s a lot of yummy!
I hope you found this post to be helpful in reminding you of the healthy and delicious alternatives the typical Turkey Day fatness LOL.
Now, let’s get down to business!
ORDER your Girl Gone Healthy T-Shirts!!!!
I have already placed the order and paid for every one’s shirts up front! I am covering the shipping from the printing company to me, as well as from me to you. If you have already ordered/requested a shirt please contact me ASAP with your preferred form of payment. You can use the Pay Pal option here on GGH or email me at: email@example.com to arrange postal mail payment. Also, include the shipping address for your shirt if you haven’t already. THANK YOU
Purchase your Girl Gone Healthy T Shirt via the Pay Pal button in the green box! Pricing and sizes listed, secure payment site via Pay Pal!
You can also mail a check/money order directly to me, email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange payment!
Also, a new contest will begin this week! Our friends at Larabar will be providing the prize, and it is AWESOME!!!! They sent one to me and it’s by far the coolest giveaway! Check it out!
YUM-O right?! Stay tuned because YOU might be receiving this same box-o-goodies!! AND a T-Shirt! WOW!
Be sure to check out all of the info below…and thanks for reading!
Questions, comments, complaints, concerns-send to: email@example.com
Have a great night!
Don’t forget to help out fellow GGH’er Meghan!
Fit World Member, and GGH Fan, Meghan McKiernan has signed up for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team In Training to run a Triathlon this July in New York!!! The Team in Training is the world’s first, and largest charity sports training
program. It is dedicated to funding blood cancer research and providing education and patient services. The Team has invested more than $680 million in research since 1949 – over $69 million in 2009 alone. As a member, Meghan will be partnered with someone who is currently fighting the disease, and will compete in his or her name.
UMMMMM WOW! She needs to raise $3,000 friends!!! This is a GREAT cause! Please Follow the link, pass it on, and DONATE!!!
Help Her Out!!!
Cook book recipe submissions: I am starting to work on the GGH/Brain Cancer Research Cook Book again. Email me any fun, fresh, healthy recipes that you would love to have published. Your name will be next to your recipe and a portion of the sales profits will go towards GBM Brain Cancer Research in my Father In Law’s name.
To Follow GGH on Twitter: http://twitter.com/GirlGoneHealthy
To Follow Fit World on Twitter: http://twitter.com/FitWorld
To Become A Fan of GGH on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Girl-Gone-Healthy/96848354322?ref=ts
Follow These Healthy Tweeps and tell ’em I sent ya!
Amazing Grass-coupon has become available again enter HEALTHY123 at check out, only when going through the GGH site though! Click on the Amazing Grass jug to the right.