The 4th of July is just around the corner, and for many that means cook outs-family-fireworks-and fun! I asked around today for some of YOUR fave cook out items, healthy or not, and received some really yummy recipes!
I’m going to even post the not so healthy ones, because some of you can actually eat them and not have to worry about gaining 50,000 pounds. My hubby is that way….I envy him.
Let’s Cook Out!
Korean BBQ Ribs by Ev M:
*1 can of cheddar soup (I use campbell’s)
*1 8oz sour cream
*1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp cheddar)
*1 stick of melted butter
*I add 1 cut up onion but it isn’t necessary if you don’t like onion.
I let the hash browns thaw before I mix it all together, makes stirring easier.
Mix all ingredients together, place in a 9X13 pan. Be sure to use non-stick pan or spray pam in the pan before adding the mix.
Once oven is preheated to 425 put pan in and cook for an hour. If you find its getting burned you can take it out, some ovens vary but for my oven this is what it takes to finish. You’ll want to let the dish set for about 30 mins after taking it out of the oven so it can solidify.
- 7 kiwi (1 1/2 cups), skinned and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 cantaloupe (4 1/2 cups), diced in large chunks – make 28 chunks
- 1 honeydew (6 1/2 cups), diced in large chunks – make 28 chunks
- 1 pound strawberries (3 cups), tops removed – if large slice in 1/2
- 1/2 small watermelon (6 cups), diced in large chunks – make 28 chunks
- 1 pineapple (6 cups), diced in large chunks – makes 28 chunks
- 28 black seedless grapes (2 cups)
Slice a piece of each fruit on a kabob skewer.
Sweet Potato & Cabbage Slaw by 14 Months To 50:
- 2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3 cup(s) coarsely grated peeled sweet potato (about 1 large)
- 3 cup(s) thinly shredded napa, or Savoy cabbage
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon(s) finely minced serrano, or jalapeño pepper with seeds (optional)
- Whisk canola oil, lime juice, sesame oil, and salt in a large bowl. Add sweet potato, cabbage, scallions, and serrano (or jalapeño), if using; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Banana Pudding by Elizabeth:
SPOON 1/2 cup pudding in bottom of 2-qt. serving bowl. Top with 8 wafers, generous layer of sliced bananas and 1 cup pudding. Stand 12 wafers around outside edge of dish. Continue layering 12 wafers, sliced bananas, 1 cup pudding, 15 wafers, sliced bananas and remaining pudding. Cover.
REFRIGERATE 3 hours or overnight to soften cookies. To serve, spread whipped topping over pudding. Garnish with additional banana slices, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth. Mix in egg. combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Press dough into an ungreased pizza pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla until light. Spread on cooled crust.
- Arrange desired fruit on top of filling, and chill. (SUGGESTED FRUIT: strawberries, blueberries, and kiwi)
And my all time fave cook out dessert is my 4 Layer Delight!!!
1 stick butter, melted ( I use the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter sticks for baking)
1/2-1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. instant fat free vanilla pudding powder (you’ll need 2 boxes to measure out 1 cup)
1 (8 oz.) pkg. fat free cream cheese
1 (3 oz.) pkg. instant fat free chocolate pudding
1 (3 oz.) pkg. instant fat free French vanilla pudding
Mix ingredients for crust together and spread into a 9 1/2 x 13 inch pan. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool. –Make sure to cool!!
In a bowl, mix 1 cup Cool Whip, 1 cup vanilla pudding powder and cream cheese; spread over cool crust. Mix chocolate and French Vanilla pudding mixes in separate bowls according to package directions allow puddings to set for a few minutes. Carefully spread the chocolate pudding over the cream cheese layer, next carefully spread the French vanilla pudding over the top of the chocolate trying not to swirl them together. Lastly, top everything off with remaining Cool Whip. (GGH Note- when making your puddings use Light Soy Milk or Skim Milk. Also making this the night before and allowing to sit in fridge over night makes it taste 10 times better!)
Yes it’s giveaway time!!!!!!! Here’s how YOU can win!
1) Sign up for the The Full Plate Diet E-Newsletter http://www.fullplatediet.org/
3) Visit http://www.fullplatediet.org/recipes/ and choose the recipe you would cook up using your new Fiber knowledge.
Here’s the kicker though……to enter you MUST be a Fan of Girl Gone Healthy on Facebook and Following Girl Gone Healthy on Twitter! Each option above gives you 1 entry, for bonus entries Tweet about my giveaway:
I just entered to win a FREE copy of The Full Plate Diet from @girlgonehealthy and @fullplatediet
OR Make the contest your Facebook status!
Please comment on this post and tell me about ALL the ways you entered! Enter as many times as possible, open to Canada too!
And for ONE last way to get 3g of fiber PLUS a full days servings of fruits in veggies in one 8oz shot visit: http://myshakeology.com/esuite/home/girlgonehealthy Get YOURS today!!!!
Healthy Wishes, Tera