I LOVE lasagna and pasta and spaghetti and pasta and Italian food but pasta is just something my body is saying a big fat NO to right now. It makes me swell up, makes my joints ache, and puts me in a hazy coma which makes me sad because it’s been cool at night which makes me want something warm and melty…..like lasagna!
So what does one do when they can’t have pasta and you don’t have any GF pasta in the house? Make VEGGIE-Sagna of course!!
This yummy recipes uses layers of egg plant in place of lasagna noodles and I think I like it even more than “traditional” lasagna.
Girl Gone Healthy Veggie-Sagna
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 zucchinis chopped
- 1 small jar fire roasted red pepper
- 1 cup white button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1 (15-ounce) container of reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 1½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggplants
- Non-stick cooking spray
Cooking Instructions for Sauce:
- Lightly spray a large saucepan with non-stick cooking spray. Add onions, zuccs, red pepper, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato puree. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Add spinach and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes or until veggies are tender and spinach is wilted.
Cooking Instructions for Veggie-sagna:
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise about one-quarter inch thick. Spray large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Spread eggplant in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. (The purpose of pre-baking the eggplant is to remove excess water from the vegetable prior to making the lasagna.)
- While eggplant is baking, mix the ricotta and Parmesan cheese together in a medium bowl.
- To assemble, use a baking dish (approx 12” x 7 ½” x 2”) or similar sized dish.
- Coat the bottom of pan with a thin layer of sauce. Place three strips of the cooked eggplant on top of the sauce.
- Spread with ½ of the cheese mixture. Top with half of remaining sauce. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers using the remaining eggplant strips, cheese mixture, sauce and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese on top. Bake 30-35 minutes.
Question of the Day:
-What favorite not so healthy or comfort food recipe have you modified?
Healthy Wishes, T